Friday, August 5, 2016

Cured?

Duh?? But I thought...

So apparently Toni Braxton has a son who was diagnosed with Autism, and she is "shouting it from the rooftops" that he is now no longer on the spectrum. So naturally, many people are putting their two cents in about the issue. Well, I'm open minded, and I'm not here to judge; if Toni Braxton says that her child is no longer on the spectrum...how was this accomplished, according to her? If it's true, I'm sure a lot of parents would be interested to know about it.

Whether her son is truly cured or not is certainly none of my business. I'm just glad that she's happy, and hope that her son is too...

I only weigh in on this because many have strong opinions about it. I feel it's important to remember that the idea of "curing" Autism, or wanting to cure it, does not mean that we are wanting to change a person, re-make them, or have them be someone that they are not. In my view, that is not what this is is about. This is about relief. It's about relief from the varying degrees of physical, mental, emotional and neurological symptoms...not to mention secondary conditions that can and often do result from being autistic. Honestly, I love the way my MIND works...this makes me the wonderful lady I am. But I would bet that neurologically, if those who are Autistic could do something about, say, the anxiety, the flat feet, the digestive issues, the weird eye movements, the difficulties with depth perception and fine motor skills, and a whole slough of other problems...some of which we may not even know we have...I don't know that anyone would pass that up. Autism is a challenge, the say the least. It's hard. It's hard for kids, it's hard for adults, it's hard for parents, it's hard for teenagers. It's just hard.

It's hard to explain to others what it really is...a hidden disability that can leave us so "close"... but so far away. Many people just want some relief. Can we really blame Toni Braxton for saying she found some? Is her son cured? I don't know. Maybe, in any case, the important thing is that she believes that he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your experiences with Asperger's Syndrome?