Sunday, July 29, 2012

What is WRONG with me???

For as long as I can remember, people have been trying to teach me how to "lighten up.". I really do have quite a sense of humor... But most of what I find funny... Isn't funny to other people. As a child I spent hours alone in my room, singing and talking to myself and making up my own little games. I preferred Relationships with adults. Kids wanted to run around and clibm trees and do physical things. Normally, I'd only get my feelings hurt because I could not keep up. I remember I could not handle teasing of any kind (usually). I was quite sensitive and would internalize everything, feeling like I was being attacked somehow. The strange, but good thing is that this seemed to give me more empathy (not less). I always seemed to be in knots over two things: 1. Some thing that I believed was terribly wrong (and how to fix it) And 2. WHY doesn't anyone else think that thing is a big deal? As a result, I was always defending someone (even if it were only myself). It was hard for me to do the simplest of things with others because I was always worried about what was right and fair and best for everyone. This sounds commendable, I suppose.... But most of the time I just drove people nuts with it. I always seemed to be worried about someone getting hurt or treated unfairly or left behind, and usually I was upset about it in some way. The short version is that other kids got angry with me for making too big a deal out of things, and I'd get angry because I'd think my "friends" didn't care. As a result, I abandoned a lot of friend's because I believed that they were "mean" and had no sympathy. The irony is that I'm sure they believed the same about me. I was known to all who were close me... And even those who weren't, as a "sweetheart". This is odd for someone with the temperament I've just described...but that's exactly my point. How could this be possible? I've seemed to be plagued by extremes in behavior masked by an extreme aloofness and withdrawal. As an adult, this has caused me to "mask" a lot of things... Even from myself. Sometimes I simply don't recognize when I need assistance with something or I need to make a change. My "focus" tends to run deep... And only on one thing at a time. When I am involved in something, I can be so deeply involved that I block out everything else. Sometimes I do this intentionally... But other times I'm not aware I've done it at all. As a result, simple, mundane things go un-noticed. For example, I can be writing something in a journal for over an hour and my mom will come in and go "Don't you wanna turn on a light?". So obvious...but I had not even thought about it. Being too involved in my writing, this mundane detail is lost on me. Now, this does not mean that I have Aspurger's ... Everybody does this at times right? The thing is, I often become angry when people mention these mundane things to me. Why? This is not unreasonable. How can I see to write if I don't turn on a light? But it disrupts my thought process. Whatever I'm writing down is "erased" from my brain because now I must process the question being asked and the physical action needed. I can get those thoughts back...but I liken it to a flower pot falling off of a shelf and breaking. I have a "mess" to straighten up inside my head now, in order for me to "get back" to where I was. When I finally "straighten" it all out, I'm usually so frustrated, I don't even want to finish what I started. Goodness sakes, what's WRONG with me? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your experiences with Asperger's Syndrome?