Monday, October 1, 2012

Just Ticking Over?

You know, I think Chris Reeve was right.

He said in an interview once that disability (money) in the country was only designed to keep people with severe conditions "ticking over" while living with those conditions... But not enough to really help them get better or be productive.

Now, I realize that the government cannot ( and should not) do everything. But A YouTube Video that I just found proves the point in a different way. An adult with AS needs an aide to help him get through his day because of his heightened senses and the anxiety they cause....

But he's too intelligent to qualify for any such assistance paid for by the government. A very talented artist, he has all the ability in the world to make his own living... He just needs a little help! :). According to the law, his IQ must be 70 or lower to qualify for any sort of assistance. But what does IQ have to do with too much noise or dizziness, or nervousness, or in my case, terrible balance?

This subject hits home for me too because I have a lot of difficulty multi-tasking. There's always a point where my brain is on overload and I need to stop. I get migraine headaches caused by TMJ Syndrome (which can be caused by a lot of things ( excessive teeth grinding over time is one). But never have I heard of any job where you can stop when your brain is on overloaded, or the whole side of your face hurts, at which time you need to lay down in a dark room (bright light... Bad!). My dentist informed me that this soreness would make it's way down into my neck and shoulders too, which it has. For me, a migraine can last several hours. I'm learning to manage the condition as best I can, but am unable to cure it. All of this... And I have not even mentioned the Cerebral Palsy & the ( strong possibility of) AS. I do not drive. All of you out there on the road, can be glad that I don't... Believe me, it would be an accident waiting to happen!

Anyway, I choose not to go into anymore of my conditions here. Suffice it to say that most of what I do best is on my computer (or IPad) at home. I've just not found a way to make any money at that! :). It just seems to me that the criteria for what is or is not a disabling condition should not be such an inside out maze to navigate your way through.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=kOhDWcwUjAg

1 comment:

  1. http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=kOhDWcwUjAg

    ReplyDelete

What are your experiences with Asperger's Syndrome?